1 Sam 16: 7
"Look not on his countenance, or on the
height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as
man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on
the heart."
But what about Saul, a man who "made havock
of the church," who breathed "out threatenings and slaughter against
the disciples of the Lord," and entered "into every house, haling men
and women [committing] them to prison." (Acts 8:3; 9:1)
To men he was as a man of evil, whose soul
purpose was to persecute others and cast them into prison. Despite Saul's
outward actions and appearance, the Lord saw him differently in his heart. In
speaking of Saul, the Lord said to Ananias: "Go thy way: for he is a
chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the
children of Israel." (Acts 9:15)
I think far too often we as children of God,
live far beneath and sometimes contrary to our potential. In thinking
of the great Prophets, many of them doubted their self worth.
From Enoch we hear the words:
"Why is that I have found favor in thy
sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech;
wherefore am I thy servant?" (Moses 6:31)
And from Moses:
"Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh,
and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?"
(Exodus 3:11)
"I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor
since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a
slow tongue." (Exodus 4:10)
But in looking at them as the Lord saw them, we
see why they became such great men.
From Saul:
"It is hard for thee to kick against the
pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me
to do?" (Acts 9:5-6)
"And he was three days without sight, and
neither did eat nor drink....And when he had received meat, he was
strengthened. Then Saul certain days with the disciples which were at
Damascus. And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that
he is the Son of God." (Acts 9: 9, 19-20)
From Enoch:
"And the Lord spake unto Enoch, and said
unto him: Anoint thine eyes with clay, and wash them, and thou shalt
see. And he did so." (Moses 6:35)
"And it came to pass that Enoch went forth
in the land, among the people, standing upon the hills and the high places, and
cried with a loud voice, testifying against their works; and all men were
offended because of him....And it came to pass when they heard him, no man laid
hands on him; for fear came on all them that heard him; for he walked with
God." (Moses 6: 37, 39)
"And as Enoch spake forth the words of God,
the people trembled, and could not stand in his presence." (Moses 6: 47)
"And so great was the faith of Enoch that
he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he
spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled,
even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their
course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all
nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the
power of the language which God had given him." (Moses 7:13)
And from Moses:
"And it came to pass that when Moses had
said these words, behold, Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man,
worship me. And it came to pass that Moses looked upon Satan and said: Who art
thou? For behold, I am a son of God, in the similitude of his Only Begotten;
and where is thy glory, that I should worship thee? .... And again Moses said: I
will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of him: for his
glory has been upon me, wherefore I can judge between him and thee. Depart
hence, Satan." (Moses 1:12-13, 18)
"And calling upon the name of God, he
beheld his glory again, for it was upon him; and he heard a voice, saying:
Blessed art thou, Moses, for I, the Almighty, have chosen thee, and thou shalt
be made stronger than many waters: for they shall obey thy command as if thou
wert God." (Moses 1:25)
And as we learn from Stephen: "Moses was
learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in
deeds." (Acts 7:22)
Why were these men chosen when others weren't?
1. They were quick to hearken to the voice of God. Obedience and Promptness
were qualities of their heart that were Godly in nature. 2. Despite their fears
they pressed forward in faith relying upon God to fulfill his promises as they
opened their mouths.
The Lord can lift us to heights that we never
dreamed of. For he sees as we can become, not as we are. He sees us in our full
potential. But the question is: How do we view ourselves and others?
Do we see ourselves in the light of our potential, or in a different spectrum?
Let us then lift our sights, raise our vision,
and expand our perspective. Let us see ourselves as the Lord sees us and see
through His eyes.
"And if your eye be single to my glory,
your whole bodies shall be filled with light." (D&C 88:67)
0 comments:
Post a Comment