Sunday, March 17, 2013

Becoming Lights in a Darkening World


Today in Priesthood we sang one of my favorite songs: Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy

Brightly beams our Father’s mercy from His lighthouse evermore,
But to us He gives the keeping of the lights along the shore.
Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save.

Dark the night of sin has settled, loud the angry billows roar;
Eager eyes are watching, longing, for the lights, along the shore.
Let the lower lights be burning! Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save.

Trim your feeble lamp, my brother, some poor sailor tempest tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor, in the darkness may be lost.
Let the lower lights be burning! Send a gleam across the wave.
Some poor struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save.

            What does it mean to be a light for others to look to? Often when I think about what it means to be a light for others I think about the importance of always setting a good example. However, this morning I had the realization that being a light means more than simply setting an example, it involves letting go of our will. To really become a light unto the world, we have to willingly let go of our will and place it on the altar of the Lord. 

As a missionary I learned this truth and offered my whole soul unto the Lord. In order to serve to my greatest ability I had to let go of everything. I had to let go of my inadequacies, my weaknesses, my fears, my desires, my wants, my hopes, my dreams and ultimately my whole self. I had to give up all of these things so that the Lord could make me a new creature and instrument in His hands. I gave him my will, and he gave me His. By far it wasn't easy, but it was necessary. I couldn't be the person the Lord needed me to be without letting go. I had to live outside of my comfort zone to truly shine as a light. I had to let go of all of my selfish thoughts to become selfless. But as I did this, a change was wrought in my very nature, not just my behavior. Suddenly I was able to truly love and serve others as a true disciple of Christ and charity became a part of my nature.

This is what it means to be a light in the world we live in. The world is greatly in need of lights that are constant, and unwavering. The world needs lights that are completely selfless in nature, not just temporary behavior. Lights that will shine at all times and in all places, however hard the billows may be raging. 

As the Savior said:
"Ye are the light of the world....Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
-Matt 5:14,16

And in the words of Paul:
"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;"
- Philippians 2:15

0 comments: