Sunday, November 25, 2018

The WHY behind all the commandments

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints there are many laws and commandments that we follow and observe to keep. Oftentimes, many of us ask the question WHY?

Why can't I date until I'm 16? Why can't I drink coffee, tea, alcohol, or wine? Why can't I have sex until I'm married? Why don't we go to bars, or clubs? Why are we honest with others? Why do we still keep the 10 commandments as well as the higher law? Why? Why? Why? The list goes on and on. So many whys.

The answers are actually quite simple. The answer to the why is a two-fold answer. The first reason is because we are being trained and taught obedience to the laws of eternity. For us to really progress and become as God in the hereafter, we must become perfectly and precisely obedient to all the higher laws, or such a responsibility will not be granted unto us. We must learn obedience in the little things, so to be offered responsibility over the greater things.

The second reason, which is often looked over in the church, is that everything we do is to enable us to serve in the temple. We pay a 10% tithe, we are honest in our dealings with our fellowmen, we obey the word of wisdom, the law of chastity, the law of the fast, etc. We are baptized, endowed, given the priesthood and given the garment to wear, all to serve in the temple. We must live perfectly upright and righteous to be worthy to enter the Lord's house and perform sacred saving ordinances for God's children. This is why we live and act the way we do as members of Christ's church. Otherwise, there is not sufficient reason to live all of these laws just to go to church or be a part of an organization like church. Sinners can attend church and are invited to do so without consequence or shame. Sinners who have repented and become whole without spot are invited to serve in the Lord's house. Granted, none of us are perfect nor can we be in this life, but where our heart lies and what our actions say is what matters in terms of serving the Lord in his holy house, and if deemed worthy by one of his representatives, then we are permitted to enter.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Interesting perspective! I had never really thought about either of those reasons for obedience...they make sense though. My primary reason for obedience is that I love the Lord (John 14:17). If there is something I can do to show him that I love him, I am going to do it! Another reason I keep the commandments is because I know they are given by a loving Heavenly Father to help me find peace and joy in this life and in the eternities (Mosiah 2:22). When a mother tells her child not to put his hand on a hot burner, or not to run into the street, she is doing it to keep her child happy and safe— not to be restrictive, or just to see if he can handle it. Another reason why commandments are helpful tools is that when revelation is slow in coming or unclear, the commandments give us guidelines on how to act in the meantime...when in doubt, don’t kill, steal, lie etc.